I learned on Friday that I have gestational diabetes, which is not fabulous but also not the end of the world. It means I am diabetic but likely just while I’m pregnant and it should go away after the baby’s born. Read more on the Mayo Clinic Site. It’s common among older or overweight women, as well as minorities. So yay for being Latin! In my diabetes class on Monday morning (between the clinic and the ER) there was a Black woman, a Domnican, an Indian and myself. I have to prick my finger and check my blood sugar four times a day. The goal is to control it with diet and exercise so this means little to no carbs and fruit and all those fun summer things. Good thing I’m not out west because I was always obsessed with those snow cone shacks. Sigh. I’m working with a diabetes education councilor and another doctor who will help me keep an eye on things and hopefully I won’t have to give myself insulin shots.
The boss I’ve worked for for the past four years left Nielsen today for a post at Discovery, the network he was at before Nielsen six years ago. I’ve known him for four years and it will be weird to be at work and not see him anymore. He’s been a great mentor and friend even though he likes all the wrong sports teams. I’m really spoiled to always work for such great bosses (shout out to Mindy since you’re the only boss who reads my blog).
14 years ago
2 comments:
I still can't believe what a crazy weekend and week you've had! Best of luck with learning and dealing with diabetes and I will keep you in my prayers so that it will go away when little Jacob joins us!
Let me know if you need any tips with the whole diabetes thing...I can relate with pricking my finger so much. Before I got the pump, I had to prick my finger about 8 times a day! I don't wish that on anyone!
Post a Comment